Friday, March 29, 2013

Pure Love


As far as I can tell, there is only one kind of love, a strong feeling of an intense willingness and desire to exert oneself for someone else’s spiritual and emotional growth or welfare.  That love comes from the force/power known as God.  In its pure form love is totally selfless and totally directed at the growth and welfare of the other entity.  I feel it all the time for everything and everyone else and I also feel it directed at me, most powerfully from God but also from everything and everyone, since we are all connected and all of us have a portion of that power/force within us.  I find it to be quite amazing to live my life so immersed and surrounded by love.
In my past, love was mixed up with fear and co-dependency, not totally selfless and experienced as feelings of infatuation, being “in love” and lust.  There is nothing at all wrong with those feelings, they are fun and intense to experience, they are simply not purely love.  For example, when my wife and I met, thirty-two years ago, there were strong feelings of being in love and the lust that, in my case, comes with a touch of fear mixed with love.  It was very human and wonderful to experience those feelings.  We have now been married for thirty one years and we feel an enduring love for each other, also wonderful to experience.