Saturday, July 20, 2013

Spiritual Growtth

I have been told and it is certainly my personal experience that one of the impediments to enlightenment or any serious spiritual growth, is the desire for that growth.  Any sort of pride at having achieved a certain level of growth, sometimes called “spiritual materialism”, is also an impediment.  What apparently works in the pursuit of spiritual growth is attempting to become a “clear vessel” by removing all pride, desires and attachments.  The closest analogy I can think of is that of a mirror which becomes increasingly clear and reflective as a person removes the attitudes, attachments and desires that cause clouding.  It has been my experience that the capability of spiritual growth, becoming that clear vessel, is in each of us, waiting for us to remove the impediments.  In my case, it is difficult to continually remove the impediments, but it also feels right and very fulfilling to do so.