Friday, October 4, 2013

Spiritual Blessing

It was mentioned in the recovery meeting I went to today, that I had said a few months back that “pain is a spiritual blessing”.  The fact is that it is generally some form (emotional, physical, spiritual) of pain that leads us to spiritual or emotional growth.
In my case, historically, the pain has had to be pretty intense before I paid attention.  I had my first indication of physical problems late in my teenage years.  I then had periods of gradually increasing pain and problems for many years after that and responded “I can deal with this”.  I finally paid attention when I was thirty-six and knew I would die soon if I did not do something differently.  I began the journey of changing in the direction of love and spirituality and I have repeated the same pattern of not changing until things get pretty bad many times.  I have finally learned to change much more readily!
As Richard Bach said in his book One, “An easy life doesn’t teach us anything.  In the end it’s the learning that matters: what we’ve learned and how we’ve grown.” I love where the pain has led me, I did not enjoy the experience.