Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Being Disabled

Yesterday my previous internet provider charged me for services, as if I hadn’t cancelled my contract with them, so today I called them up and had a very pleasant conversation with a staff member who cancelled my account and sent me an e-mail confirmation of the cancellation.  The individual I spoke with was very polite, cooperative and patient, a pleasure to deal with.
Approximately two weeks ago I had called the same company in an effort to cancel my service.  I spoke with an individual who was very dismissive and who evidently did not respond to my request or even record that I had called.  My thoughts during that previous conversation were something like “here we go again!”, since I had encountered the attitude many times before.  I must have been in a good space spiritually and emotionally since I also felt some amusement and a realization that my request would probably not be fulfilled.  I suspect that he was responding to the fact that my speech is very slow and not at all clear.  His assumption was that my brain operated in much the same way and so I was not worth listening to and probably would not remember the call anyway, an assumption that I am now very aware of and do not make whenever I speak with another.