Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Love Versus Fear

I learned many attitudes and techniques during my formative years which protected me then, and hold me back now, if I listen to them.  Things like low self-worth, the danger to self of facing up to anger, the importance of appearance over substance, the necessity of using intellect over feelings or the danger of feeling and openly expressing emotions.  In my case, recently, those attitudes and techniques seemed very compelling, almost necessary, but also imprisoned me.  I recall, vividly, the first time I bought a used P.C. for myself.  The action actually made me nauseous since part of me said “you are not worth it” or “this is dangerous” and another part knew it was a good thing to do.  I went through similar conflicts when I first stood up to anger or began to trust my feelings or intuition.  Acting out of love, rather than fear is one of those “dangerous” behaviors that I choose today.