Monday, April 7, 2014

Sides Of The Same Coin

My life as a human is a wonderful and terrible thing, all at the same time, and it is best for me to acknowledge both sides, sides of the same coin.  Life is full of conflicts and dualities of all kinds, which I can fully appreciate through open, mindful meditation.  I am frequently reminded of the eloquent words of M. Beattie, from The Lessons of Love, writing about life, that "It's about swallowing pride and fear and having the guts and the tenacity to have faith when we've been stripped of naivete and shaken to the core---and when we know too well that life isn't just mysterious and unpredictable, it can be unbearably cruel and breathtakingly wondrous, sometimes at the same time." On one hand, the pain, suffering and confusion caused by the advent of my disability were terrible, resulting in not caring about staying alive.  On the other hand, that period of my life was the greatest gift I have been given, resulting in a much greater connection with God and an appreciation for life, in general.