Sunday, April 13, 2014

The Power Of Love

For the last several days, I have been reflecting on the fact that if I feel and project the love, respect and understanding that I find in the God place during any sort of interaction, then the fears, ego and potential aggression in the people around me just dissolve and go away, a very good example of the power of love to change things.  A rather dramatic example from my own life was several years ago when I was working in the locked ward of a mental health hospital.  One of the patients/clients who was a recovering meth addict, had escaped and was exhibiting some violence in the parking area of the facility.  It took three attendants to restrain him and bring him to an isolation room to talk with me.  I met with him alone  and projected love, respect and understanding.  He quickly calmed down and was fine, without any added medication or restraint.  I realize now that I had done none of the things that fear and my training would have led me to do such as not meeting with him alone or making sure that I had a clear, unobstructed escape route.  There have been numerous other, less dramatic, examples of the calming effect of love on potentially explosive interactions in my life, all examples of the power of love.