Friday, June 20, 2014

What Matters

One of the phrases that I learned early in my recovery work was “nothing matters very much and very few things matter at all", meaning that the vast majority of the things that I worried about meant nothing.  At that point in my life, I was thirty seven, had an ulcer, had high blood pressure, did not sleep well and I was having other anxiety problems.  Gradually, using a lot of meditation I finally fully realized that the vast majority of things I worried about meant nothing and that I was definitely not in charge of outcomes, both very freeing.  I am now sixty five, have no signs of anxiety, have low blood pressure and sleep very well, most nights.  I now place my emphasis on relationships and love, knowing that they matter.  I think that little phrase was important!