Wednesday, February 22, 2017

Spirituality

At my recovery meeting today I sold six copies of my book, Three Simple Questions: Being in the World, But Not of It. I also got to talk about my way of life and the three questions I use as the central focus of that life (The three questions are: Would I do this in front of God (or whatever you call the power or force behind the Universe), Is my name really on it (or is it really my responsibility), Will this increase the integrity of the universe (or is this action motivated by love, rather than fear, acting out of love always increases the integrity of the universe). The notoriety was fun but the reason this was important to me was that I could talk about the wonders of a spiritual life much the way that Borg suggests Jesus did, "Finally, the image of Jesus as a spirit person has implications for how we think of the Christian life. It shifts the focus of the Christian life from believing in Jesus or believing in God to being in relationship to the same spirit that Jesus knew. It is the claim that I emphasized at the end of chapter 1 and that will emerge yet again in this book: that the Christian life moves beyond believing in God to being in relationship to God."