Sunday, November 11, 2018

Conflict and Resolution

Today, during my meditation with some of the spirits from Arlington National Cemetery, I encountered a conflict which concerned me for a while. Some of the spirits agreed on the one hand that killing, aggression and death would not get us closer to the ideals they believed in and some died for. And on the other hand that killing, aggression and death had to help, a belief they had been taught and were committed to. I felt confused and thought they might be right that violence was necessary, at least some of the time. I asked for guidance and meditated. In that meditation I was flooded with remembrance the many instance when violence melted and vanished as a result of love like when members of a church turned toward prayers for perpetrators rather than retaliation. "In the Dhammapada he [the Buddha] teaches that in this world hate never dispels hate. Only love dispels hate."