Friday, February 22, 2019

Listening

When I was a boy I learned that in the process of exploring the contents along the bottom of a stream, I could lift a rock and allow the disturbed mud to flow away and clear until I got a clear view of what was there. For me, the process of listening is very much like allowing the mud to clear so I can arrive at a clear understanding. In this case the "mud" consists of my previous ideas, biases and prejudices which obscure my view. During my exploration of the unseen realm of spirits it has become clear to me that I do not understand and I am allowing previous ideas to muddy the water. In order to really hear and understand I need to be an open vessel, having let go of all previous ideas — I’m not there yet. "Listening is a far more difficult process than most people imagine; really to listen in the way that is meant by the masters is to let go utterly of ourselves, to let go of all the information, all of the concepts, all the ideas and all the prejudices that our heads are stuffed with." (Sogyal Rinpoche)