Monday, February 25, 2019

Love

My understanding of love has certainly evolved over time beginning with what I now call "country song" love and ending with my understanding of God’s Love. When I was much younger love meant a deep longing for the other person, a feeling that I now realize was dependency which put pressure on the other person and that it tended to result in emotional pain. Then love meant always wanting "sunshine and roses" for the other person which was unrealistic and hollow. Finally the Love I have learned from God is to devote myself to everyone’s mental and spiritual growth, especially people close to me. I find this to be a deeply fulfilling experience for everyone which recognizes and respects their need to work through and overcome the challenges of life, including unpleasant feelings.