Thursday, August 2, 2012

Compassion

The meeting today was about tolerance or, as several people suggested, compassion, which has less of a tendency to imply superiority.  Compassion is one of those things that I have been granted or given, without striving for it.  It just seems like a less stressful and more loving approach to life's situations, though that never occurred to me before,  We are all involved in the human condition which means that we all have human flaws.  It feels much better for everyone if we have compassion for ourselves and each other.  I am reminded of a time this spring when a large, junker, pickup truck rear-ended me, causing considerable damage to my vehicle, none to his, and no injuries.  He was distressed at having caused the accident so I comforted him, putting my own stress aside and pointed out that no one was hurt and it was just an inconvenience.  My actions and words changed nothing but certainly made the situation less unpleasant for all, including the police who handled the call.