Friday, September 27, 2013

Connecting & Healing

I was reminded today that several of the young addicts/alcoholics that I have worked with are doing very well, staying away from drugs and moving forward in their lives.  A few others are not doing well at all.  I am certainly not responsible for their successes or failures, but I play a part.  My responsibility is to “play my piano and sing my little song” the best I can, any given day, the rest is not up to me.  Just the same, I do enjoy connecting with these guys and watching them grow and change.
One of the things that has struck me over and over about working with these guys and helping them get out of a self-destructive life-style, is the importance of loving them, purely and with as little co-dependence as possible (I usually can’t escape it entirely, but I don’t act on it!).  I find it important to love them, let then know that I care, have very firm boundaries and let them also know that I will not accept lying or manipulation from them.