Thursday, December 12, 2013

Causes Rather Than Symptoms

When someone approaches me with a problem, looking for a solution, I generally offer suggestions that get at the cause of the problem and some sort of long term solution, rather than simply dealing with the symptom(s).  For example, if they approach me with anxiety or low self-esteem, I might suggest some support groups or methods of confronting and getting to know and understand the feelings, followed by laughter, love or meditation to overcome those feelings, thus addressing the cause.  Alternatively, the symptoms could be treated with things like Valium or Prozac.  My approach generally requires some sort of discipline, is usually long-term, and has little or no instant gratification.  Most people do not even acknowledge that my approach exists until they have exhausted all other options!