Monday, July 28, 2014

Living Within Limitations

Tonight’s events have been very difficult for me to process and still maintain a neutral or even positive attitude, which is important for living with my disability.  Maria and I attended a potluck gathering, a choice which resulted in my attempting to socialize with many people I did not know or did not know well, many with hearing problems.  The situation was also a buffet over uneven, slightly sloped terrain, which would not be a problem for most people, but was for me.  The end result was that I was very uncomfortable, and tending to exaggerate my disability and speech impediment.  The take home lesson is that I function fairly well, within a relatively narrow window of conditions, imposed by my physical limitations.  Tonight’s experience was decidedly outside of that window.