Sunday, December 7, 2014

Loving Response

On the one hand, providing a loving response, acting in a loving way, sounds simple, and theoretically it is.  However, when faced with the reality of the human condition, acting in a loving way is often difficult, requiring meditation to determine the right course of action.  For example, I have a friend who is in very bad shape emotionally and physically due to his alcoholism.  My initial response is to rush to his aide in any way I can, actions that do not feel quite right.  When I meditate, the most loving response seems to be to not take any action until he begins to take some action on his own, and only then to provide support.  Meaning, that the loving response right now is to let him experience what he needs to, in spite of that being difficult to watch.  Personally, I have found the loving response to be complicated at times.