Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Loss

The topic in today’s recovery meeting was “loss” and I chose to remain silent since my understanding was quite different from other members and I felt the need of sorting that out.  Using meditation, contemplation and talking with Maria, my wife, I have arrived at some clarity. During the meeting the participants spoke of getting older as a loss of options and the death of a loved one as a tragedy and a loss of options also.  From a purely physical perspective I realize that is true.  However, having experienced numerous losses and now getting older, I have seen my options expand greatly in emotional and spiritual ways.  It is also my understanding and experience that death is a transition into an existence with a large increase in options, not the other way around.  In my experience, the grieving process and feeling losses are a beautiful though often unpleasant part of life, not to be avoided.