Thursday, August 13, 2015

Growth In Love

It is now clear to me that, as many spiritual leaders have said, we are on this planet to learn and grow, particularly in love.  That growth frequently involves working through some unpleasant issues.  For example, in my case, my disability and the associated physical and emotional pain has been and continues to be extremely unpleasant.  My disability has also been the greatest gift I have been given, in terms of propelling emotional and spiritual growth.  There are numerous eternal benefits to me, my soul and many others.  Recognition of the gift in no way diminishes the pain but that awareness does change my attitude.  I repeatedly encounter “New Age” people and Christians who focus on the growth in love without acknowledging the necessity of working through unpleasant issues.  The growth in love is only half of a beautiful and wondrous story.