Sunday, April 24, 2016

Pain & Difficulties

Life is often difficult, a struggle or downright painful, as has been pointed out many times by various authors and spiritual leaders. I have certainly struggled and had some painful times. Taking a Buddhist approach, my efforts are to simply "be with" the pain or struggle, neither attaching to it like a badge of courage, trying to deny it or pushing it away. I am very much aware of the possibility mentioned by Newton that "Pain in life is especially insidious because it can block the healing power of our souls, especially if we have not accepted what is happening to us as a preordained trial." If I listen to what the pain is "telling" me and go where it is leading me, I generally end up with greater love, compassion and an improved spiritual connection. I make an effort to keep in mind that "Part of a spirit’s mission is to evolve through learning and growth. Some of this growth comes from the love, pain and physical experiences of the material world, which is why spirits incarnate into human form." (Anthony).