Monday, July 31, 2017

Freedom

All of my life, in my work with individuals and groups, I have encouraged people to think for themselves and speak openly and honestly, even when their view went against the norm or was unpopular. A large part of my reasoning for that approach is that many people have discouraged that sort of free thinking in me with a negative impact on my growth and emotional inhibition - it did not feel good. I feel pressure to follow the norm and encourage the same in my clients but I do not do so. In my reading of Beyond Belief: The Secret Gospel of Thomas, by Elaine Pagels I am pleased to note through her and other sources that the historical Jesus also encouraged free thinking in the people he worked with, like his disciples. Unfortunately, religious teaching frequently tends to discourage free thinking. Freedom of thought is certainly emotionally complex (messy) but also more loving and supportive of growth.