Monday, October 23, 2017

Solution?

Yesterday I wrote about Parker J. Palmer’s comment in Healing The Heart Of Democracy: The Courage To Create a Politics Worthy of the Human Spirit that it is important to resolve the tension or conflict inherent in the democratic process with heart or love. He also quotes Benjamin Friedman as saying "When material progress falters........people become more jealous of their status relative to others. Anti-immigrant sentiment typically increases, as does conflict between races and classes; concern for the poor tends to decline." Well, material progress has faltered and Friedman’s words have come true. I believe that the solution to this situation is something like the spiritual and loving approach I write about in my book, Three Simple Questions: Being in the World, But Not of It and I will do what I can to promote it.