Friday, August 17, 2018

Guilt and Shame

I keep encountering, what is frequently called, "Catholic guilt" in the people I talk to, meaning a feeling of guilt or shame over past behaviors. Personally, I have done many unfortunate or harmful things in my life including; lying, stealing, manipulating, having a brief affair with a married woman and doing my part of causing two abortions. I regret these things and now do everything I can to make amends. I feel no guilt or shame, but rather view my younger self as I might a warm, stupid puppy, with compassion, understanding, low expectations and forgiveness since I was clumsy and knew no better. Those circumstances are all part of my growth. "Every circumstance------no matter how painful-----is a gauntlet thrown down by the universe, challenging us to become who we are capable of being." (Williamson)