Monday, August 31, 2020

Spiritual Practice

  I was watching a movie (“Whale Rider”) last night in which a girl is prevented from spiritual practices because she is female and then becomes a spiritual leader of her people.  During the movie in my body and mind I felt/heard several times the message that “this is important, pay attention”, a message I am quite familiar with.  At the present time I attend (not a member) a Quaker church, a community of spiritual seekers and finders who practice no dogma and worship through silent meditation.  Many of them think that there is something spiritually special about being a Quaker.  I am, what I consider, a spiritual “stray dog” with a history of Christian, Navajo, Taoist, Buddhist, Hindu and Zen roots and present day ties to none.  It seems important for me to practice and know that distinctions according to sex, religion, race, etc. are human not God based.  There are many paths to God and level of devotion makes a difference but other categories do not.