Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Holistc Approach


My doctor tells me that the ultrasound indicates that my thyroid is OK.  She is concerned because both my TSH, produced by my pituitary, and my T4, from the thyroid, are a bit low, according to the normal range.  Generally, when the level of T4 is low, more TSH is produced, telling the thyroid to increase its production of T4.  Therefore, they should not both be low, simultaneously.  The simplest explanation is that my body does not need more T4, an explanation that my doctor rejects, since, according to conventional thought, all humans need a certain level of T4.  I have to be very careful since my body is not necessarily normal and reliance on allopathic medicine has not served me well in the past.  What I try to do is take the information provided by my doctor and integrate it into my holistic, health oriented approach.