Wednesday, May 22, 2013

My Song


Many years ago, Joan Baez wrote “I am less than the song I am singing & more than I thought I could be”.  I have long identified with that song.  The “song” I keep singing is the power of love to heal and change lives and I am very passionate about it.  That power has, quite literally, saved my life and, also, changed my life dramatically.  It is also immeasurably greater than myself.  I would like everyone to know and hear that song.
I began my life in a violent, abusive, alcoholic home and grew up with a very low opinion of myself.  By making use of a lot of human and non-human help and guidance, combined with courage and perseverance on my part, I have, largely, overcome my low self image, though whispers of it still remain.  In that way, I am much more than I ever imagined I could be.  I have faced a lot of personal fears (terror?) along the way and found them to be merely vapor, though they seemed very real, at the time.  What better way to know and feel the power of love than through the absence of it?