Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Recovery

I practice what I call “extreme recovery” (no TV, radio limited to human interest on NPR, no caffeinated beverages, limited sugar, healing meditation, begin each day with extended prayer and meditation, lots of service work, weekly sweat lodges, daily contact with other recovering addicts/alcoholics) primarily because it works for me.  I walk around each day feeling love for everything and everybody and I am doing very well, physically, in spite of some, potentially, major problems.  I have a very strong spiritual connection and I love my life.  My life is a model for other recovering people, but I hesitate to recommend the rigors of my life to others.
During the meeting tonight, several people talked about the negative behavioral consequences if they drift away from the recovery path, true for me as well.  In addition, I just learned of four friends who have returned to shooting heroin.  Maybe my method of recovery is not so extreme after all!  I think I will continue with my approach.