Monday, September 2, 2013

Following A Path

Many of the recovering alcoholics and addicts I work with have expressed a fear that they do not have the ability to stay clean and sober, long term.  Similarly, many of the non-addictive people I work with worry that they will not have the necessary discipline to follow a spiritual path.  Part of me thinks “It’s really very simple, just never do anything that leads you down a non-spiritual/addictive path”.  The other part of me realizes that is like saying “stop being human”.  What seems to work for me, though I’m not certain why, is to ask for help and guidance every day and then to listen to that “small quiet voice” all day and act accordingly.  In my case, if I do that, the necessary actions follow spontaneously.  Understanding is not required.