Friday, October 18, 2013

Spiritual Living

Many years ago I watched a movie called “Jeremiah Johnson” starring Robert Redford.  In that movie he started out as a very naive young man heading off to live in the Rocky Mountains and became a seasoned mountain man admired by many.  He encountered and overcame a great deal of life-threatening adversity along the way.  Toward the end of the movie he commented to Will Geer that “it oughta have been different”.  Similarly, I am admired by many, like who I have become and what I know but I sometimes wish I did not have to go through so much adversity to get here.  As Joy Marsh once said, I can “see the colors of music, hear the songs of color and [lead a life] blessed with magic people”.  I got here because of teachers, meditation and many adverse experiences.  All of those things helped drive me to the spiritual life I now lead.  It is what it is.