Sunday, October 13, 2013

Linear Time, A Convenience

It is clear to me that the linear time I mentioned yesterday, the notion that events happen within a definite and predictable cause-and-effect sequence, is just a transient convenience of the physical body, not a necessary reality.  As various mystics and spiritual leaders have mentioned, the true Self and eternity are timeless, unborn and never die.  I have been briefly “jerked out” of the space-time continuum, an event I found quite traumatic, but also very illuminating since, before then I did not know it was possible.  Personally, I enjoy the notion of linear time, it works well in this body, but I also find it comforting to know that it is just a matter of convenience.  Like L. LeShan said in Alternate Realities "Reality is only partly our invention; it is also partly our discovery.  Our task is to discover how much and in what areas which is which; and then to determine how much new freedom this gives us and what we can do with it".