Friday, November 15, 2013

Attachment & Letting Go

The process of moving has been a real eye opener for me in terms of attachments.  I fully recognize that any attachments result in my being a less free and able to just keep flowing within the river of life.  We had been at the previous location for twenty years and had our sweat lodges for fifteen.  When it came time to move, on a conscious level, I knew it was time to move on and that we would, in fact, lose nothing.  However, the move also stirred me up and was difficult for me, part of me wanted to hold on to things as they were.
Another aspect of the move was/is that it is a time for us to divest ourselves of unneeded objects.  I come from a family that never got rid of anything, they would simply put it in storage and keep it, thus avoiding some of the painful part of letting go.  When I encounter things I no longer need, I initially think thoughts like “that belonged to my mother!” or “that is valuable!” or “most people would not appreciate that!”, rather than simply letting them go and moving on, which is what I do, eventually.  I feel a greater sense of freedom when I can appreciate and enjoy the items at the time, and then let them go.