Sunday, February 9, 2014

Awakening

I have been reflecting a lot on the emotional “waking up” process that I went through and, subsequently have witnessed and/or assisted in others.  Prior to my recovery process, I had no idea that many of my actions were driven by feelings from events that occurred during my formative yeas of one to ten.  For example, when in my early twenties and after being a rebellious teen, I decided to start doing things “right” so I began to do well in school, follow intellectual pursuits and generally do all of the activities that other people approved of, especially my parents.  The results were doing very well in school, a Ph.D., a highly responsible job, anger, depression and a feeling of “is this all there is?”.  I was not happy and had no clue why since I had done everything “right” according to what I had learned, a position I have now witnessed in many others.
During my recovery, I have been exploring and getting to know my spiritual and emotional sides.  As a result, I am no longer angry or depressed and I feel balanced.  I have discovered many riches there!