Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Spiritual Bankruptcy

During a recovery meeting recently someone commented something to the effect that we humans spend a great deal of time in an effort to prove that we are “smarter than prairie dogs”. While this was an exaggeration and meant to get a laugh, which it did, as a species, we do emphasize the power of our intellects, sometimes at the expense of our spiritual and emotional development.  In my case, after being a rebellious teen, I turned my attention to my intellectual achievements.  At the end of that process and after several years I received a Ph.D., had some notoriety in academic circles and had become an assistant professor.  I was also miserable, emotionally and spiritually bankrupt.  I then set about developing my emotional and spiritual sides.  I have since realized that my intellect, while a wonderful and vital part of my being, is limited.  In addition, I now recognize the importance of love, compassion, forgiveness and connectedness in my life.