Tuesday, May 31, 2016

Guidance

A little over twenty years ago, when I was fairly new to the Flagstaff area and had just begun exploring the Native American approach to spirituality, I was invited to attend a Sun Dance, as an observer. At that time Maria, my wife, was not supportive of my exploration and had told me that if I ever chose to participate in a Sun Dance, not just observe, she "would not be there when I returned". I was conflicted and asked for guidance about whether to go or not. I had also recently joined a practice in Flagstaff and the secretary came back to my office and told me that someone was in the waiting area requesting to talk to me. He was a colorfully and somewhat shabbily dressed black man and I invited him to come back to my office. I asked him why he wanted to talk and he explained that he had seen the plaque out front announcing "Charlie Horton, Therapist" and felt compelled to meet me since his name was also Charlie Horton! I then asked him what brought him to Flagstaff and he replied "I’m here to go to the Sun Dance". At that point I thought "message received" and went to the Sun Dance, which turned out to be an extremely significant event for me. The words of Williamson come to mind that "We will be told everything we need to know and shown everything we need to see", an important message in this time of change.