Tuesday, March 28, 2017

Detachment

I go through my daily activities from within a "bubble of love", a gift I have been given through living with my disability. It has taught me to ask for guidance, that I am not in charge and for the sake of my sanity, I need to detach from everything. The way my disability has taught me is through pain and discomfort when I don’t do those things and serenity if I do. Jack Kornfield put it well when he wrote "To love fully and live well requires us to recognize finally that we do not possess or own anything---our homes, our cars, our loved ones, not even our own body. Spiritual joy and wisdom do not come through possession but rather through our capacity to open, to love more fully, and to move and be free in life." He goes on to say "The happiness we discover in life is not about possessing or owning or even understanding. Instead, it is the discovery of this capacity to love, to have a loving, free and wise relationship with all of life. Such love is not possessive but arises out of a sense of our own well-being and connection with everything." I have found all of that to be very true.