Wednesday, December 20, 2017

Loving Action

The topic for today’s recovery meeting was loving action, particularly unconditional love and the fact that we frequently fall short of that ideal. I find that for me that, I can, and usually do, behave unconditionally, but that I also have brief thoughts that are very conditional or selfish. For example, when interacting with my wife I might have passing judgmental and self-centered thoughts which I do not act on. Another example is that when dealing with a young woman I might have momentary sexual thoughts which I do not act on. I find it difficult to admit even the passing thoughts but acknowledging them takes away their power and allows me to act unconditionally. According to the Thomas gospel Jesus said, "If you bring forth what is within you, what you bring forth will save you. If you do not bring forth what is within you, what you do not bring forth will destroy you."