Monday, February 25, 2013

Location of Consciousness, Part 2


During the recovery meeting this morning, I was reminded of Occam’s razor with regard to the location of consciousness.  Occam’s razor states that the simplest explanation is usually the right one.  I learned that guiding principle during college and I also learned “treasure your exceptions” since that is where the learning is.  I tend to use both of these principles frequently, especially to cut through personal biases that keep me from the truth.
I have used both of these principles with regard to the location of consciousness.  Over the centuries people have reported numerous instances of disassociation, when the location of their consciousness has shifted to a location out of their physical body.  There have also been reports of near-death or after-death experiences that also involve a change in the location of consciousness.  Personally, I have experienced both.  It is certainly possible to come up with various explanations for any of these experiences, which people have done.  However, in my opinion, the simplest explanation is that consciousness is not exclusively located in the brain.
I spent the rest of the day relaxing, sorting and meditating.