Thursday, April 25, 2013

What Does Not Matter


There was a clinical staff meeting today at the place where I get most of my referrals, which included me and the two other primary therapists.  One of the main topics was the intake process, which typically I conduct, based on very limited background information gleaned from the program’s application form.  It was suggested that we gather more information, through a phone interview, prior to the actual admission of a new resident/client.  I made it clear that I believed that we should have the additional information, that I endorsed the idea of a phone interview, but that I would not do it.  It was then decided that one of the other therapists would make the necessary phone contacts and the intake decisions.  Since the intake decisions were being shifted from me to another therapist, I was asked several times if I objected to the shift.  Each time I was asked if I objected, I tried to make it clear that I did not.  I consider such a shift to be relatively trivial and it is, after all, just a job.  In my view, getting disturbed about it would just be a waste of time and energy.  Life is too short and wondrous to do that!
In connection with the attitude I express above, I read about twenty years ago that “nothing matters very much, and very few things matter at all”.  This situation falls in the latter category.  My ego and I struggled with this concept for years, and I now see the wisdom in it.