Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Fears

My left brain, the masculine, logical, cause-and-effect part of me, is largely fear based and very compelling, if I give it free reign.  I also realize that part of most people operates the same way.  For example, I can readily start thinking about something like having cancer, losing my job, saying the wrong thing, my girlfriend leaving me or my best friend not liking me and, if I let them, the thoughts just take over and become an obsession, the fears seem real.  My best defense, and what I now do most of the time, is to cut off the thoughts as being just silly vapor right at the beginning rather than feeding into them.  I generally try to switch to my love-based part that knows “the universe is unfolding as it should” and that everything will be just fine.
Of course, the simple truth is that occasionally those fears are accurate.  Life is life and it is what it is.  I did, in fact, become disabled and I do have a speech impediment.  The fact is that having those fears is not in the least preventive and having them actually impedes a functional response.