Monday, March 10, 2014

Paying Attention

Today, Maria, my wife, and I took a hike to visit Keyhole Sink, a box canyon several miles west of Flagstaff.  When we got there, it felt like there was a considerable spirit  presence in the canyon and I kept getting partial, fleeting images of long-dead, indigenous people watching us.  I also felt  drawn to an area of large rocks toward the back of the canyon, while Maria made a very small fire to burn some smudge mix.  I went to sit and meditate next to the large rocks and when I got there I kept getting those same partial, fleeting images of snakes, together with an uneasy feeling.  I even went so far as checking for snake, while also thinking that it was to early in the year.  After meditating/contemplating for a while, I stood up and noticed several petro-glyphs, nearby.  Among the petroglyphs was a very beautiful and simple, vertical snake near another of a man.  On the way back from the canyon, Maria commented that some people associate the image of a snake with transformation, which seemed right, in this case, though, personally, I don’t feel up for another transformation.  It seems important to pay attention to these subtle images and synchronicity and to stay open to possibilities.