Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Staying Open

My biggest challenge right now is how to stay open to my own possibilities or potentials rather than staying within the comfort zone of my own perceptions and attitudes.  The clearest examples of what I am speaking of come from the physical limitations that result from my disability.  Fear tells me that I should accept my limitations, prepare for being confined to a wheelchair and not do things like canoeing, hiking and exercising to increase strength, balance and coordination.  Love or a feeling of well being leads me to do those things.  It is more subtle but the same pattern applies to all aspects of my life, attitudes or ideas about limitations.  I fully recognize that I am a limited human being, however, I have little idea of what those limits really are.  As with my disability, fear leads me to keep things safe, while love and faith lead me to push the limits.