Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Beyond Earthly

During one scene in the movie “God’s Not Dead” a woman with advanced Alzheimer’s speaks clearly and cogently, something she was physically not capable of, according to the medical model and/or science.  That scene struck me since the situation it depicted actually happened to me.  In my case, my father was living in an assisted living facility and had advanced Alzheimer’s.  He could not speak using complete thoughts or sentences and certainly did not recognize me as his biological son.  I went to visit him and we made a very strong, spiritual (beyond earthly) connection.  Within that connection he communicated that he had lived his whole life staying in the protection of  “the harbor”, and the importance of taking the risks of the “open ocean”, in each case using analogy and complex thought.  Within our connection, he also acknowledged that I was living my life in the open ocean, so he obviously knew about me though he still did not know that I was his biological son.  When our connection ended, which I sensed, he looked at me and said “it’s stopped” and I replied “yes it has”.  He then asked “What do we do now” and I simply suggested that we each continue with our day.  There was a very strong feeling of unconditional love and a “presence” during our connection.