Friday, October 10, 2014

Who Am I

This afternoon we had our first meeting of the Friend’s (Quaker) writing group and we were to write in response to the query “who am I”.  To me, it was notable that most, but not all, responses to the query related to the participants experiences regarding their present physical form.  In most cases they spoke of things they have done during this life, not who they were.  There was also some mention of problems or limitations imposed by their current physical forms, age or physical pain or ailments.  In my case, I responded to the query in a more spiritual sense, referring to myself as “timeless, selfless and eternal”, quite different and definitely not rooted in my current physical form.  I did not mention or think of limitations or pains imposed by my disability, very real but also quite transient.