Friday, February 10, 2017

Following A Spiritual Path

My wife and I began unpacking and distributing our paintings, photographs and accumulated art objects today. Each of the objects symbolize part of our history and who we are today. For example there is a beautiful black and white photo of Mount Humphries in Flagstaff, one of the sacred peaks of the Navajo and Hopi. That mountain and what it represents changed my life. The mountain was a big part of my sweat lodge experience where a Native American man approached me and told me "The spirits want you to build a lodge and the Navajo elders approve". A Navajo elder built that lodge and that action was a "song that began to sing me" as Sue Monk Kidd puts it in what she wrote "You create a path of your own by looking within yourself and listening to your soul, cultivating your own ways of experiencing the sacred, and then practicing it. Practicing until you make it a song that sings you." Up until then I was more or less a normal white boy.