Tuesday, February 7, 2017

Self

I often feel brain dead since I care nothing about things like competition, sports or take offense at things that bother most people. I do care very deeply about feelings like love, equality or, compassion and also relationships. In the last few days I have had several middle age or older women go out of their way to help me since I am disabled and have poor coordination. I just feel grateful and not that I should be able to take care of it myself. I do wonder, with some amusement, "is it that obvious that I need help!?". I am reminded of a comment by Mitchell that "‘Blessed are the pure in heart, for they already see God.’ Seeing God means they have died to self, since ‘no one can see God and live’ (Exodus 33:12). Not that selfish concerns don’t arise for them; but they aren’t attached to these concerns; they have no self for selfishness to stick to; hence they can be carried along in the clear current of what is."