Friday, April 14, 2017

Spiritual Path

Today, and frequently, I feel that my life is a glorious statement of what it is to be human. When I am tired or depressed, my life feels heavy. I have used the analogy many times, but I feel like the cabin boy on a ship that I own. The ship is a beautiful three masted sailing vessel out on the open ocean of life. Someone ( God, as I conceive him/her) else is steering so I have no idea where we are going or what we are up to. I am reminded of the apt comments by Thomas H. Green, S.J., "But for those blessed souls who are able to let go, to float free, a new and mysterious world is revealed. It is a world more mysterious, more exotic and, initially, more threatening than the new world Columbus and Magellan stumbled upon. Those who "stay home" will only know of it by hearsay, and will scarcely believe what they hear. The few whom grace and their own generosity launch on the uncharted sea — they alone will ever really know whether the explorers’ tales are true."