Wednesday, August 30, 2017

Perspective

At our bird feeder we get a young cowbird that acts like a baby, wanting to be fed by its adoptive parent, an adult chipping sparrow. In this case the "baby" bird being fed is much larger than the adult feeding it, a strange sight. Cowbirds are "social parasites", laying their eggs in the nests of other birds, their hosts. The hatchling cowbirds then take over the nest by aggressively getting rid of any competing young or eggs and taking advantage of the parental instincts of the adults. On the one hand this situation can be viewed as a disturbing ethical breech. The situation can also be seen as a delightful example of the vitality and persistence of life. Both views are quite accurate and I prefer to have both views. "Jesus said, ‘I am the light which is before all things. It is I who am all things. From me all things came forth, and to me all things extend. Split a piece of wood, and I am there; lift up the stone, and you will find me.’" (the gospel of Thomas)