Sunday, November 12, 2017

Changing Perspective

Many years ago I set as my life goal to "change the world", which I selected knowing it was grandiose and that it would occupy me for the rest of my life. Moving back east was part of that goal. In the process of pursuing that goal I find that I have a tendency to experience "anxiety over the state of the world, destructive human tendencies and my own physical condition", as I commented a few days ago. This is a fine example of my becoming overly involved in worldly things and feeling like I am "in charge". I’m not. And I really like the words of Gilbert Kilpack: "Seek not for faith to move mountains. Seek God first. Perhaps the mountains do not need moving, perhaps He will lift you up above the mountains which may be better than moving them.  Seek not pleasure neither of body nor of soul. This too is a gift, eluding those who seek it seek God, for He alone is able to give joy, which is infinitely finer than pleasure.  Seek not power, not even power to do great deeds. Seek God and Him alone, and power will flow from you in ways and times which are hidden from you."