Tuesday, January 15, 2019

Spiritual Path

About thirty years ago, when I began to intentionally follow a spiritual path, I anticipated that following that path would consist of comfortably and joyfully encountering opportunities to grow and then doing so. I find instead that I feel "lost in a trackless desert" much of the time and that I keep encountering internal resistance. The resistance is there because spiritual growth often involves ego deflation, and my ego does not enjoy that. I also keep giving up worldly distraction like un-needed possessions or attachments. Just the same, I would have it no other way since the result are well worth it. "To get we must also give, to advance we must also surrender, to gain we must lose, to attain we must resign. From the nature of things life means choice and selection, and every positive choice negates all other possibilities." (Rufus Jones)