Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Overcoming Challenges

During the meeting tonight, there were a couple of topics floating around.  One was that things like worry, fear and self-deprecation drive many of the thoughts and feelings of most of us.  People confessed to worrying about things like not having enough money, the job ending or not being good enough.  I spoke up, laughing, and commented that I often had such thoughts and considered them as examples of being a silly, wonderful human, of not being “wrapped to tight”.  I also made it clear that I did not take such thoughts seriously.
I found it disturbing that I was welcomed as “one of the guys”, when speaking of my weaknesses and quickly left alone when I spoke of overcoming them, as if having weaknesses was supported and overcoming them was not.  Similarly, in early recovery, it was laughed about and clearly enjoyed as I discovered and began to work on my numerous, dysfunctional behaviors and ideas.  There was/is a good deal less enjoyment expressed, having overcome those challenges.  I must admit that it is very comfortable for me to continue with dysfunctional behaviors, much like continuing to be with an old friend, they are familiar.